Friday, July 31, 2009

Mr. Coffee Maker

News item!

I must announce, with great regret that there has been a tragedy. A good friend of mine has perished in a loud squealing death. Trusted for over ten years to be my morning motivator and inspiration –Mr. Coffee Maker… left us for a world (AKA trash can).

It started out as usual Thursday morning. I staggered blindly out of bed, scoped up a cup of dog food and on the way to Sal’s bowl, turned on Mr. Coffee Maker.

Heartened by the knowledge that a mug of warm smooth Gevalia, freshly brewed would be waiting for me in five to ten minutes, I fell back into bed for my five minute alarm clock snooze.

It felt like I woke up years later but actually it was about four mins and thirty seconds, in horror.

Where was the breath taking comforting aroma of my morning stimulation? I waited. The alarm went off.

A terrible sound reached my ears…

“GRRRRRBBBBLLLLUUPPP…sssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS….”

Cautiously I got up… Charlie stared with complete fascination at the counter where sat Mr. Coffee Maker and a queasy amount of steam blowing out of its top.

I stared too.


“GRRRRRBBBBLLLLUUPPP...ssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSRRRRRBBBBLLLLUURRRRRBBBBLLLLUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS….”


The rest of the thirty minutes, before I dash out to work, are a blur. Shock and denial required me to leave Mr. Coffee Maker on, struggling, choking and gasping -until my best friend ordered the horrible noise to stop.

I bought terrible burnt stale gas station coffee on the way to work and sipped it morsely.

No comments:

Post a Comment