Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Skiing

Last winter we had a whole whooping two days on snow but my drill instructor danced down the ridges with me, repeatedly shouting, "Turn! Hands forward, drive with your hands! Turn again!" etc.

The result was that I graduated from easy greens to easy blues in those two days.

This year I was a grinning little kid as we packed up our car and drove up the mountain. Excited isn't the right word for my anticipation. Thrilled, giddy, silly; these might be better descriptive words.

What I lack in skills I more than make up for in enthusiasm. There are very few outdoor sports I have mastered.  Even hiking poises risks. I have the attention span of a gnat and it’s only a matter of time before I twist an ankle going down a hill because of my lack of attention.

But skiing is fantastic; bitter cold, blinding sunshine, millions of layers, and my upside down cartwheels in the snow when I missed the turn -! There aren't words for the fluttering fear and exhilaration as I study a 'steeper hill then usual' and conquer it with only a couple of good falls. Hyperventilating and triumphant I speed forward, stretching my arms and fingers out to catch the wind.

I love living.

No comments:

Post a Comment