Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The hamsters in my head.

I could taste emotion as one could taste a freshly cut onion or smell cut grass in the summer evening.

It could be arid, bitter, fresh but some how emotions always taste raw.

I could feel emotions in and around me too. This ever flowing stream of water or air, it was a light brush against my arms or a tickle on the back of my knees.

The world was as bright as crayons are to a child. The walls begged for color so I painted them. Bold and vivid and true.

Too bright? Too much blue? Too much orange, red, purple and green? Impossible!

Don’t you shiver too Reader? Like I do? I think you must. I think we all must. But if you have forgotten how to try this: Close your eyes sometime, as a storm is brewing and when the tree branches are clapping and shuddering and cheering in the tremulous toss up in the sky. Close your eyes and listen. Goose bumps will rise on your arms and there is a funny little shaking that can happen in your heart.

Or! Or; Close your thoughts and turn off the radio while you drive in your car to work. Those over sized and far too tall pedestals rubbing their wrought iron sides together- that sound? Turn that sound inside out. Now that sound is the beating of feet on rocks and you are running through a painting rendered of a South American forest. The air is humid not dry, the world is humming with insects and sweat.

And I shiver. Every time I do that I shiver. It is best when someone else is driving the car and I can look out the window and disappear into air and find myself on a far off mountain side. Sometimes I see deer running and I imagine that I am one of them. If I close my eyes and listen and listen and listen and then I can imagine slender legs, four of them. Smooth rough fur and soft large ears and dark serious eyes.

The imagination is a fantastic thing. It is magic and wonder.

My sweetheart says he wonders what goes on in my head but Reader, without what goes on in my head I don’t think I could handle the nastiness of this job and of people and feeling tired in the morning.

In my head I am still about six years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment