Monday, June 28, 2010

Did it!

My husband leaned slightly forward in the triangle; testing his nerves. The air had evened and steadied and I felt myself steady with it. The light was turning golden as evening set in and the heat of the day abated with the less direct waves of summer light.

I closed my eyes and unheard I whispered “You’ve got this.”

The words were to him, they echoed back to me.

He took off; the nose of his glider dipped slightly down and then he soared above.

I watched fascinated by his bravery of overcoming what he has been so wary of. Fearing something that you know is relatively safe and known is a terrible thing. In fact this type of fear is the most awful type of fear to overcome yet I know it can be done. There are many things I have feared that may be silly but once upon a time that fear was given a nearly unshakable foundation; a hold in my mind, emotions, soul and body.

I said the words louder, “You’ve got this.” A bystander gave me a puzzled look; I smiled back and hurried to my gear.

I asked other pilots their thoughts and found reassurance. Then I kited my wing up to see mine. I pre-flight checked three times. The air was steady, the wind was even; I turned, torpedoed for the edge and took off.

The elation is indescribable. I could taste it in my dry mouth; I couldn’t swallow because of the nerdy grin I wore.

It is the most wonderful thing to surprise ones’ self. There isn’t a better feeling in the world.

I have also never been so aware of myself. I paid attention to my turns, the surges, the thermals, the feeling of my lines cutting into my hands and the cooling angle of the sun. I sang to myself and swung my feet a little as my guy and I called out hello on passes.

As others looked to be sinking out, I turned and checked my altitude, I looked at the empty landing zone. I watched my sweetheart’s landing and decided it was my turn. It took several deep breaths and two more turns for all to agree:  I was the proper distance, I had the needed height. In the back ground I heard myself hyperventilating as the rest of me focused. I calmly did a figure eight and turned in. I coasted softly, I turned lightly, bleeding off speed and I perfectly flared to tip toe myself on to the ground.

I stood frozen in silly wonderful awe as my glider, puzzled at my sudden lack of input, collapsed in the weeds behind me. The noise woke me up and I gave little squeak with an accompanying hop.

I did it! I, Chicken Little, blond empowered with “Rock Star” nail polish, purple highlights and eye liner, I did it! Hooray!

My best friend was there and we gave each other grinning hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment