Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Shiny...

My fortune-hunter, my explorer, my adventurer, my traveler, my husband, and hero;

Has a knack of handing me shiny new hobbies and then taking them away and replacing them with new ones. I offer accompanying squeals that go something like this;

“OOOO! This is my favorite sport- oh no, I don’t want to try something new- OOOO, no wait! This is my favorite hobby-OOOO! This is my favorite Toy!“

And so on. First it was diving into a lukewarm, swimming pool and choking on chlorinated water to claw my frightened self to the three feet away surface. Then came my very lovely pink leather jacket for his shiny scary fast bike. Then it was our adorable little house in dire need of love and paint. Then it was the most romantic wedding anyone has ever had followed by the most astonishing honeymoon (which included dolphins) thought up.

At the beginning of this year he piled us and gear into the car and drove us up the mountains to coach me on my utter lack of skiing knowledge. Although I continued to frantically hyperventilate in panic at the super steep slopes, I actually improved and fell madly in love.

About two weeks after that he had me on the side of a hill with a gargantuan kite flopped over behind me while snowflakes settled into the brown, wet and despairingly un-pretty landscape. Borderline freaked out and trying not to throw up on the surrounding dead sodden weeds, I charged forward to pull it up behind me and float a grand five to ten feet in the air. Fast forward about four months later and presently I am becoming excellent friends with my own 'kite' Perry, also called a 'Wing' by the cool kids and I am rated a novice P2 pilot.

Have I mentioned that I live an exceptionally blessed and spoiled life? Have I mentioned that I owe a significant amount of this blessed life to my dear husband? I don’t think I have. I worry beyond worrying about what I would do without him. I worry that I haven’t paid my equal share for this life I am afforded. I need to quit worrying and bask in the sunshine of my life. There will be storms a plenty some day but right now these are my days of gentle seas and safe harbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment