Tuesday, August 10, 2010

After the explosion

The boom from the blast deafened my ears. Blinking bleary eyes at the cloud of dust blooming all around, I tried to see through the rubble. Although the landscape had been rendered utterly unrecognizable in the destruction I still sought to find a point of reference.

Clumsy with bewilderment, I scrambled over the shredded bricks and rocks. Tearing my jeans and staining my hands, I made my directionless way over a setting of confusion.

After several ancient minutes I stopped. Hands on my knees, I tried to catch my breath while coughing on the powdery air.

“Stop. Just stop for a moment.” The welcome friendly breeze brushed my cracked chapped lips, stirring the air for a moment. I sat down and leaned against a piece of a wall propped up behind me.

I thought about my options. The wind caressed my arm and my sight followed her to what she had to show me. She formulated in the air, the outline of a small child throwing sand into the surf. As the their profile turned to look at me, the shape shifted and disappeared. How many times have I almost seen that small face?

She returned to touch my eyes once more before she too disappeared.

I thought about work and I thought about Real estate and school. Then I woke up. In the still darkness of the cool room and poofy comfy bed I answered myself;

“Stay the course. Get the CE classes. Get yourself healthy. Get out of the place you are in when you are able…and not before. Go to school. Find out what you need to do to show that you are healthy. Stay the course. There is too little information to make a rash decision. “

No comments:

Post a Comment