Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Mailbox...

I am re-entering 'The Office' having accepted a full time position with a good company. I am replacing the position of someone who has been promoted. Co-worker A. Co-worker B is also on hand to train me regarding the importance of the mail as she is the ‘back up’ person I were to be sick or out of the office.

I sit in my chair in my gigantic cubical as they hover at the doors watching me, (yes my cube has doors).

Co-worker B begins, "The mail must be hand delivered at the end of each day at the post office down the street before they close at 5pm"

Co-worker A nods, adding seriously, "Even if we are slammed and you are stuck here, you have leave and make sure you deliver it and then come back to catch up"

I gently suggest, "But as the mail is posted here and the date is stamped on that postage, we could just drop it downstairs in this building's mailbox. It is securely locked and it says there is a pick up at 5:30 pm by the post office."

There is the silence and an exchanged look of horror between the two,

"No, it will not be delivered!" Co-worker B exclaims horrified.

Puzzled I ask, "Why? Have is not been picked up before?"

"We don't have a building mail box!" They say in time, exchanging another look, this one hints of 'maybe the new girl is an idiot.'

I smile politely and wonder when twilight zone music would kick on.

No comments:

Post a Comment