Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Friendship

Last night my husband, Sally and I staggered into the house weary and happy and hungry from our evening run. About two seconds after I had inhaled my eggs on toast I suddenly thought “Where is Charlie?”

At about that exact moment, my sweetheart, who had just stepped outside to change the sprinklers, yelled “HEY!!”

Darting outside, Sally went left, bristling as she herded the neighbor’s dog off our yard from the driveway. We found Charlie puffed and perched on the edge of the eight foot brick wall on the right side of our property. In his mad dash to escape the teeth of the copper colored dog, Char had made it up the wall in record time. My husband had a hand reached up to try to soothe the terrified fuzz ball also known as our cat and Char had a shaky paw extended back, claws latched onto the sleeve of his hero.

I know I have mentioned before that I love this furry individual dearly. He is just so gentle, good and kind-hearted. I reached up retrieve him and I cuddled his tense little body so tense, each paw a knotted little pin cushion.

He coiled up against me, his face in my neck... but as I started to step away we all realized Char had kept one paw locked onto his rescuer's sleeve and  Char was not about to let go.

I handed over the shattered spooked dude to my husband.

Upon inspection of our arms and hands we discovered a bit of blood and a closer examination revealed all of his paws shredded and a back foot missing a claw from scaling the rough tall partition. And you know what? Even though this little creature was scared witless and a bit hurt, he never once, accidentally or not, scratched either of us. We cleaned him up and tucked him into his blanket on the back of the couch to watch his ‘TV’ (aka cracked open window with shades partially drawn up).

The next morning I got up to say hello and received my usual purred reply. My husband got up and was immediately greeted with meows and conversation.

Friendship given by animals is such a magnificent and strange relationship. They choose us even more then we choose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment