Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Luna Rescinds

Home from work, I unlock and yank the sliding door open. Luna leans herself backwards while stretching her little nose forward, keeping her distance as she carefully gauges the outside temperature.

Little stinker. I woke up at 4am today to her bright eyes glowing in the dark. She rested her chin on the edge and poked me with that cold nose of hers’ as she squeaked her need to go potty.

I never turn down a potty request. No matter the hour, the conditions. Sets a bad precedence.

But I have also never been in the possession of a creature who may decide to rescind the request.

Seriously.

Anyway, this morning, she had sounded a bit desperate and I had fallen out of bed in my hurry to keep up with her scrambling feet...

Hard floors, speed and Luna makes for entertainment. Even at that hour I chuckled as she mis-judged and slid sideways into the couch. There are rugs all over the place to help her out but I think she avoids them on purpose... Because of her ‘sure footedness’, I beat her to the door.

As I opened it, I let in a blast of wet cold air and about a foot behind me, she stopped short as if she had run into a concrete wall. Dismay erupted from her vocal throat and she collapsed as if hit on the head with a coconut.

I stood there, half a sleep and befuddled... two seconds past... ten... "Luna!" I hissed, "Do you have to go potty!?"

"EEEEE...errrrgeeeee!" (translation: Yes!), her little self-replied and dramatically, she fell over on her side, her despair and conflict clearly apparent

"LUNA!" I whispered and shivered, "Go outside and go potty!!!!!"

"GggggggEEEEEEEAAAAAAuuuuuaaaaa!!!!" She answered, rolling over, paws flaying.

Really??

I made a move to grab and chuck her outside - when CHARLIE darted past both of us to make his escape. Tripping over the blur of his torpedo, I missed that diminutive little Luna who then danced away to the safety of the stairs.

............siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.................

Oh for crying out loud.

Literally.

Charlie, within moments, realized the conditions of the great wild world he ‘belongs’ in… and began to ‘sing’ to me that he now needed a rescue.

The tune goes like this, “mmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMEEEAAAAOOOOOoooowwwwwwwwww!!!”

Unfortunately, due to the velocity of his departure, he was already under the stairs…. My shivering starts my giggling because Reader? I was wearing a t-shirt. Granted a long t-shirt but no shoes, no pants, “CHARLIE!” My loudest whisper yet, “C’mere!!!”

Gets better.

Luna and Charlie are forever in a ‘I will one up you’ game. Since Charlie is outside, as his song announced to her, clearly Luna now thought she should be outside too.

I am not the brightest star in the sky as it is. And at this hour, I certainly was not lit up enough to remember their ongoing competition and before I know it, out Luna goes too!

Which is what I had wanted… sort of…

Luna is so happy to see Charlie! Obviously, he went outside to play with her. Under the porch there is a scuffle of fur and cat/ dog speak when, in trying to avoid her ‘kisses’, he dashes out from the porch, across the lawn, through deep wet snow and then they both disappear into the dark.

I do the mature thing. I close the door to the rain and I go to the potty.

Returning, I consider leaving them both out for a bit. Scowling at the blurry clock over the stove (no contacts), I consider the current time (4:25am). My alarm does go off at 5:45am…

Fortunately, for both of them, my opinion of their survival possibilities outweighs my aggravation.

I open the door.

In bursts Luna. She shivers violently as I dry her off with her towel (It is kept nearby this time of year). As soon as I pull her sweater over her head, she tears off and up the stairs to go back to bed.

Nerd.

Where is the other one?

“Charlie!!!?” He is no where to be seen. I squint into the rain….nope. No where.

Toast. Burnt toast.

Resigned, I turn to go get my boots from the laundry room, leaving the door open. As I stoop to pull them on he magically appears sitting next to me.

Soaked to the bone, eyes and ears flattened, he does not shiver… he is too outraged.  Considering the blazing fury in his eyes, I think maybe he thinks I made it rain....

I pick him up with a different towel, no need to hurt his feelings more with an already dampened one, and sit on the couch to cuddle and dry my little monster. He isn’t exactly a young cat anymore and he accepts my attentions with an attitude of indulgence. When he is completely dry, I drop him on his bed.

Sitting on the couch again, opposite of him, I watch the sleet turn to snow and grin. Since my alarm goes off soon-ish, I have a stolen extra twenty minutes to do what ever I want to do and I hurry off to get my pens and paper out.

PS Luna's first snow (11/2015) This was the video I took after a lot of treats and coaxing





No comments:

Post a Comment