Thursday, June 25, 2009

GPS and the Handy Bag of Unknowns

Once upon a time…

Camping/ hiking meant the car is driven up a gorgeous asphalt path, into the woods. Leaves and debris dance across a paved sunlit road and sometimes, you spot a deer from the window.

My groomed four legged companion lounges against the back of the seat, blissfully leaning out the open window with a happy, open mouthed, long tongued grin. Eyes would be half closed in happiness.

I would be dressed in smart yoga/ sweat pants, with shoes to match my tank, and my hair twisted just so that the sun would hit and highlight the right strands.

To be prepared I had two bottles of water, one to share and a collapsible bowl to put it in. A granola bar for me and two doggie treats for the friend. Plus my handy book bag full of easy to use unknowns was always packed and ready in the trunk in case there was a slightly extended stay.

If one was staying over night a cooler was packed with beer and steak in a bag marinating to be cooked over an open fire. A couple of blankets and tent were in the trunk and there was one of those disposable tooth brushes packed in the handy bag of unknowns front pockets and there were five bottles of water.

Then I moved. I met my best friend. He tells me happy stories of camping and although I am a little apprehensive of the camping stories that involve negative degree temperatures and the four lettered word “S-N-O-W”, all in all it sounds fun!

The tricky thing about the Wild West is that even in this modern world… hiking may include four legged creatures that aren’t your friend. There are not happy fireflies that dance at night either. And the day might end at 90 degrees and the night could start at 40.

Never the less… I love hiking and I loved camping. Surely this will all be just fine….

The fiancé pulled out a GPS last night and showed me how to use it. I didn’t want to know how to use it. Knowing may mean that fate decides to throw me a pop quiz where my score could be a very unforgiving grade that I would be unable make up later.

“So this is just incase we get separated?” I attentively asked.

He nods, still looking at the screen, “Or incase one of us has be left behind.”

I nod as coolly as possible, “Ok.”

He looks up at last, and says seriously, “Well if one of us breaks a leg and the other has to make it back to the car.”

I swallowed.

Today I have decided that the best way to handle this situation is not to think about it.

I did decide that it might be prudent to get and OPEN my handy book bag full of easy to use unknowns and discover was in it. I had added an extra pair of socks and female necessities but apparently, this bag contains all kinds of goodies. Like a battery or solar powered radio, a first aid kit, water purifier packet thingy, and other stuff. Very good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment