Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Capitalist

I am sitting at my hidden corner cube and over hear the conversation on the other side of the wall. As a side note, people forget I am here and as this happens often, I have heard all kinds of office gossip from this side of the wall.

Today's argument is about Social Security. Onion Rings, argues that the monetary depletion is everyone's problem and the second, the self-proclaimed "Libertarian", (I wonder if he knows that it means to be a Libertarian...) argues that the younger generation should 'suck it up and pay it' for the sake of the older generation....

Sadly, I couldn't stop myself from blurting was "This is absolutely everyone's problem!"

Still out of sight, I hit myself in the head for the out burst. I was toast now.

The "Libertarian" descended on me, "It's the filthy capitalists! Its their fault! Are you one too? We are the ones who will work until we are old because you capitalistic kids went out and stole all your lives and then sold it for more then it was worth. That is what CAPITALISM means! To steal-"

The rant continued but I zoned out at this point. I let him go until his face was a little too flushed and I wondered about the octave his voice had reached.

I soothingly smiled my best smile and waited as he took a breath at last, "I see you feel involved with what is going on in the world."

He nodded jerkily and wiped his hands through his hair, pasting it back down with sweat, "Yes! It's very important these days."

At this opportune moment, The Boss walked by, slowing to eye us critically and I took this chance to coolly say, "Thank you Citizen '"Libertarian"." I then turned away, back to my desk. After an awkward pause, he walked off.

I know better then to react here. Everyone must be on medication.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand how a libertarian could be ant-capitalist and pro-social security...

    ReplyDelete